Please share any grants, questions, webinars, events, etc. that may be helpful.
Collected by Phillip Rodbell
National Program Lead, Urban Sustainability Research
U.S. Forest Service
Advocacy News –
- Cleveland.com – Cuyahoga County will need ‘all hands on deck’ to grow a healthy tree canopy
- E&E News – Biden seeks farm conservation, forestry hikes
- ESRI – Urban parks play a key role in curbing inequity and climate impacts
- GreenWire – Biden calls for $10B Civilian Climate Corps
- Honolulu Magazine – Honolulu is losing trees when we need them more than ever
- SFI – New collaboration to develop urban and community forest sustainability standard
- National Public Radio – What the cherry blossom bloom can tell us about climate change
- New York Times – Why you should plant oaks
- NOAA Heat Health Information – NOAA and communities to map heat inequities in 11 states
- Philadelphia Inquirer – Philly asks residents what they think of trees for city’s 10-year plan
- Yale 360 – Are huge tree planting projects more hype than solution?
- Wired – Reforestation is great! But we’re running out of seeds
- World Economic Forum – Eight reasons we need to protect our forests
Products and Happenings –
- New Cross-Pollinator Issue #3 from Forest Service R&D: A threat to ecological Investments: Plant pathogens in landscape restoration projects.
- New Report from American Forests: Climate change and urban forests – source from FS David Nowak, Eric Greenfield, Alexis Ellis.
- New Toolkit from ICLEI and BCNUEJ: Policy and planning for urban green justice
- New platform for learning: European Forum on Urban Forestry
- New book: Resilient Urban Futures – open access, includes FS Tischa Muñoz Erickson
- New Video PSAs – North Carolina Urban Forest Council: Importance of Urban Trees & Tree Care
- EPA – Cool your community social media toolkit
- The Nature Conservancy – Inequality Atlas of urban tree cover
- TED Talk – Why the “wrong side of the tracks” is usually the east side of cities – Stephen DeBerry
- USDA Forest Service funds 15 Landscape Scale Restoration projects in Northeast, Midwest
- i-Tree News – A series of newsletters with network events and product updates here.
- Vibrant Cities Lab – Home base for urban forest research, advocacy, and action.
New and Recent Research –
- Anderson, Sarah M.; Heath, Linda S.; Emery, Marla R.; Hicke, Jeffrey A.; Littell, Jeremy S.; Lucier, Alan; Masek, Jeffrey G.; Peterson, David L.; Pouyat, Richard; Potter, Kevin M.; Robertson, Guy; Sperry, Jinelle. 2021. Developing a set of indicators to identify, monitor, and track impacts and change in forests of the United States. Climatic Change.
- Engebretson, J.M.; Nelson, Kristen C.; Larson K.L.; Andrade, R.; Wheeler M.M.; Lerman, S.B.; Locke, D.H.; Trammell, T.L.E.; Groffman, P.M. 2021. Ambiguity and clarity in residential yard ordinances across metropolitan areas in the United States. Journal of Urban Affairs.
- Lin, Jian; Kroll, Charles N.; Nowak, David J. 2021. An uncertainty framework for i-Tree eco: A comparative study of 15 cities across the United States. Urban Forestry & Urban Greening.
- Locke, D.H., Hall, B., Grove, J.M. et al. 2021. Residential housing segregation and urban tree canopy in 37 US Cities. npj Urban Sustainability.
- Martinuzzi, Sebastian; Locke, Dexter H.; Ramos-González, Olga, et al. 2021. Exploring the relationships between tree canopy cover and socioeconomic characteristics in tropical urban systems: The case of Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. Urban Forestry & Urban Greening.
- Pataki Diane E.; Alberti M.; Cadenasso M.L. et al. 2021. The Benefits and Limits of Urban Tree Planting for Environmental and Human Health. Frontiers in Ecology and Evolution.
- Piana, Max R.; Hallett, Richard A.; Aronson, Myla F. J.; Conway, Emily; Handel, Steven N. 2021. Natural regeneration in urban forests is limited by early‐establishment dynamics: implications for management. Ecological Applications.
- Roman, Lara A.; Catton, Indigo J.; Greenfield, Eric J.; Pearsall, Hamil; Eisenman, Theodore S.; Henning, Jason G. 2021. Linking Urban Tree Cover Change and Local History in a Post-Industrial City. Land
- Schelhas, John; Brandeis, Thomas J.; Rudel, Thomas K. 2021. Planted forests and natural regeneration in forest transitions: patterns and implications from the U.S. South. Regional Environmental Change.
- Tanner, Sophia J.; Escobedo, Francisco J.; Soto, José R. 2021. Recognizing the insurance value of resilience: Evidence from a forest restoration policy in the southeastern U.S. Journal of Environmental Management.
- Theall, K.P.; Morrison, C.N.; Jacoby, S.F.; Tucker, A.; Wallace, M. E.; Kondo, M.C.; Branas, C.C.; Gustat, J. 2021. Neighborhood Blighted Property Removal and 311 Calls for Non‐Emergency Services: A Test of a Marker of Social Control. Geographical Analysis.
- Zhu, Zhi-Xin; Escobedo, Francisco J.; Revell, Liam J.; Brandeis, Thomas; Xie, Jun; Wang, Hua-Feng. 2021. Using phylogenetic diversity to explore the socioeconomic and ecological drivers of a tropical, coastal urban forest. Urban Forestry & Urban Greening.
Public Health Findings –
- EEworks – Impact of EE on conservation and environmental quality
- The Hill – New study finds birds give people as much happiness as money
- Horizon EU – What urban nature really means for insect biodiversity
- NewScientist – Green spaces aren’t just for nature – they boost our mental health too (synthesis)
- Washington Post – Opinion: We must invest in black neighborhood safety (synthesis)
Webinars and Events –
- Webinar – Green Roofs for healthy cities: Urban food production virtual symposium: Date: May 11
- Webinar – Urban Forest Connections – monthly webinar series from the USDA Forest Service. Next up: Taking Flight: Urban forest stewardship for bird conservation using i-Tree Eco w/s/g Drs. Wayne Arendt and Jerry Bauer, USDA Forest Service, and Rob Northrup, University of Florida: Date: May 12
- Video: American Assn of Geographers 2021 – Trees in the City Session 1
- Podcast – Plant a Trillion Trees w/s/g/ Lara Roman
- The Nature of Cities Festival – Global event, innovative platform, 24/7: Visit the website to see available micro-talks, plenaries, seed sessions, and Field Trips.
- Video series – Beyond Trees Network – Hosted by U.S. Forest Service International Programs
- Webinar series – TREE Fund Webinars
- Webinar series – Penn State Extension Urban Forestry archive.
- Webinar series – UMass Urban Forestry Today archive.
- FAO – 1st Africa Forum on Urban Forests – Proposal for presentation: Submit by May 5; Event July 5-9
- EPA – Environmental Justice Small Grants Program: Deadline: May 7
- ISA – International Society of Arboriculture virtual conference, Call for Abstracts: Deadline: May 14
- USDA National Agroforestry Center – Request for proposals: Deadline: May 28
- FAO – World Forestry Congress – Abstract submission: Deadline: June 30 (May 2-6, 2022 in Korea or virtual)
- MDPI Sustainability – Special issue: Citizen Science for Sustainable Cities: Deadline: June 30
- MDPI Land – Special issue: Ecosystem disservices across heterogeneous urban landscapes: Deadline: October 15
- MDPI Sustainability – Special issue: Forward thinking UF management for sustainable Cities: Deadline: March 31, 2022
- National Science Foundation – Funding for “urban” research: Deadline: Various and rolling.
Upcoming Meetings –
- Online TreeVitalize conference – Envisioning a just future in community forests: May 5 & 12 (12-1:30)
- UW Urban Forest Symposium – Urban Forest Reboot: Challenge and Change: May 18
- Congress for the New Urbanism - CNU 29: Design for Change: May 19-21
- Climate Leadership Conference: May 24-26
- International Walk21 Conference on Walking and Livable Communities: May 26-28
- Cities in a Changing World: Questions of Culture, Climate and Design: June 16-18
- FAO 1st African Forum on Urban Forests: July 5-9