What is Stewardship Week?
NACD Stewardship Week is one of the largest national programs to promote natural resource conservation. Celebrated annually since 1955 between the last Sunday in April and the first Sunday in May, NACD Stewardship Week reminds us of our individual responsibilities to care for natural resources.
NACD’s 67th Stewardship Week will be held April 24 – May 1, 2022 with the theme “Healthy Soil: Healthy Life.”
Why Stewardship Week?
Each spring, NACD and thousands of dedicated conservationists organize a multitude of outreach events and educational learning experiences for students and adults in order to increase awareness about the importance of natural resource conservation. During Stewardship Week, local conservation districts and their state associations educate the public on the importance of soil health, water quality, pollinator habitat and other conservation topics. Different classroom activities, field visits and community events are hosted to honor and recognize efforts in conservation at the local level.
How can you celebrate Stewardship Week?
To support a memorable celebration of this year’s Stewardship Week, below are some examples of methods to engage your community in Stewardship Week:
- Deliver PowerPoint presentations to school students and encourage participation in NACD’s annual poster contest.
- Organize a natural resource festival for elementary school students.
- Produce public service announcements for Stewardship Week and play them on local radio stations.
- Team up with a local grocery store to provide paper grocery bags for middle school students to design posters.
- Conduct workshops for gardeners, homeowners, schools, farmers and landowners interested in improving soil health.
- Set up a Conservation Station (a mobile learning center) that you can travel with across the state and teach local communities how they can improve water quality and soil health.
- Host a soil health “Lunch and Learn” and a conservation tour for local officials from the Department of Agriculture or Natural Resources.
2021 Stewardship Week
NACD’s 66th Stewardship Week was celebrated Apr. 25 – May 2, 2021 with the theme “Healthy Forests, Healthy Communities.”
- 2021 Stewardship Week PowerPoint
- 2021 Stewardship Week Proclamation
- 2021 Stewardship Week Template Press Release
- 2021 Stewardship Week Flyer
- 2021 Stewardship Week Toolkit
- 2020 Stewardship Week PSA
- Hamilton County SWCD in Ohio shares information on sugar maple trees
- Lucas SWCD in Ohio shares the anatomy of the tree
- South Carolina Department of Natural Resources and South Carolina Association of CDs shares information on South Carolina forests
- Northern Virginia SWCD celebrates trees with an original song
- Loudon SWCD in Virginia takes us on a forest bath
- West Multnomah SWCD in Oregon shares the benefits of forest thinning
- West Multnomah SWCD in Oregon walks us through steps of planting tree seedlings
- Muskingum SWCD in Ohio teaches us how trees grow
- Warren County SWCD takes us on a tour of native Ohio trees
- Alcona and Iosco CDs in Michigan discuss trees on the Annie and the Tree Guy Show
- Taos SWCD in New Mexico shares facts about ponderosa
- Kansas Forest Service shares top five preferred tree species
- Oklahoma County Conservation District and Oklahoma Forest Service shares information on urban forests
- Learn about tree identification with Hampden Hampshire Conservation District
Social Media Resources (right-click to download):